GO SPARTANS! BEAT THOSE BULLDOGS!
It's always really bittersweet to go back to my old stomping grounds. It always looks a little different every time I go. Today I parked in the 10th street garage in the 30 minute lot, stepped out of my car and headed down the stairs with a small group of students. I smiled when I noticed their backpacks as they rushed off to their classes and couldn't help feeling a little sad. College was such a great time in my life though at the time all I wanted was to be done. Oh if only I could go back and tell myself: "Don't be in such a rush!! Enjoy this time, live through the lessons, savor the moments; you don't get to do this EVER again!" As I crossed the street with the students I remembered the hot dog cart and how delicious those dogs were. That was back when my metabolism was still my friend and luckily yet sadly the hot dog cart was gone. I might have been TOO tempted.
As I walked onto the campus I noticed the new business building and student dorms. I couldn't believe how beautiful and modern they are! San Jose is the heart of Silicon Valley, so it makes sense that the campus continues to change, but it looked so different. As I passed the quad I remembered passing it everyday on my way to class, posting in front of it with my sorority sisters during Rush week, and all the students who would assemble their bands down there to perform. All around me were banners promoting the big game and students rushing around. It was incredibly nostalgic. I sent a text message to my college friend Kimmie asking her to forgive me for being late. She was waiting for me at our faithful taqueria La Vic known for its orange sauce. Don't ask me why it's so delicious...I'm afraid to ask what's in it!! I quickly surveyed the bookstore for a new t-shirt for me, Shawn, and mom. It was all I could do not to buy everything blue and gold in sight. I wonder if my love for my school would not be so bold if I wasn't a legacy. I know that I'm a very passionate person, so it's hard to ever know.
I settled on 3 new blue shirts, a beanie for our friend Jeff's boy Chase (a future spartababe?!) and made my way to check out. I thought about a Spartan jersey for Oscar, yes they make them for dogs, but do think it's mean for dogs to wear clothes. After all, look what he just went through on Halloween!
As I rushed across campus to meet Kimmie I passed the building where most of my English courses took place. I smiled and hoped to see one of my professors so that I could tell them that I actually did something in my field of study, thanks to them and their lessons. For some reason I think that's kind of rare now days.
I saw Kimmie sitting on the steps at the Taqueria and smiled shaking my head as I said "I miss it. Don't you miss it?!!" She smiled assuredly and said "Yeah, I do." We would probably not be friends today if I had chosen another school and she's a big part of my favorite memories at State. We sat and reminisced about the fun and hard times we had. I made her promise to go with me and Mom to the Bowl game pending a victory tomorrow. (Even if you aren't familiar with SJSU, or aren't a fan, you are my dears a fan of mine or you wouldn't be here. :-) So as a fan of mine, please send your positive Spartan energy out tomorrow. We need a victory to make it to that bowl game, and I PROMISE to blog all about it.) As Kimmie and I parted ways I told her not to leave her Spartan Spirit at home tomorrow. :-) Of course she laughed like most of you just did knowing I am a little crazed when it comes to my Spartans.
I hope I evoked a sense of pride in your college/youthful days. Weren't they amazing?
Until tomorrow:
Love,
Your favorite Spartababe
No comments:
Post a Comment