Thursday, October 23, 2008

Spartababes


So many of you know my deep rooted love for the San Jose State Spartans. Many of you probably don't know why I'm so attached to a commuter school with very little following and little to no national coverage beyond the fact I earned my Bachelor's Degree there.

When I was just a kid, my mom went back to college to finish her degree. Mind you she was a single working mother of two beautiful children, one of which was incredibly precocious and sassy. ;-) Nonetheless, Mom played basketball, attended classes, and finally graduated. If I can find the picture of her graduation day I will...but I digress.

Johnny and I grew up loving sports. Well Johnny loved the sports. I just enjoyed watching the cheerleaders and dancing to the music in between plays and half times. Our love of sports came from all the Spartan men's/women's basketball games, football games, and of course softball games. Back in the 80s we had a fairly strong following to a successful athletic and more specifically football program; this is when I established my rivalry with the Fresno State Bulldogs. We even went to the California bowl 4 years in the 80s. The California Bowl was held at Fresno State and we all knew how much the Spartans despised those Bulldogs. My Mom took me and Johnny to 2 bowl games on the rooter bus. We were the youngest ones on that rooter bus and therefore received much laughter when our guesses for the final score were 27-13 and 35-7. (My memory is not as good as Bubba's, but I'm pretty sure I'm close!) No one on that rooter bus thought that: 
A. We would win by so much 
or
B. It would be a high scoring game

Well would you believe that the 1st and 2nd place winners were a brother/sister team chaperoned by a very enthusiastic alum? I remember I won a coffee mug, coffee and mints. It didn't matter. I think the entire bus was cheering for us on the way home. 

With memories like these, is there ANY wonder why I claim my Spartans so proudly? Our record is looking good this season (5-2) and we may just beat those Bulldogs on November 21st. I've got my own little rooter bus and some fun folks set to come along. Maybe I'll set up a contest for the one who comes closest to guessing the final score. Just like old times. 

Until later...

Love,

The Spartababe

3 comments:

  1. Welcome home Mrs. Blackwood!

    And welcome to Blogger world...it's nice to have you on here! I love the preview of wedding pictures you beautiful bride! It feels like your wedding was years ago. Can we have another one so we can all get together soon?

    Miss you, love you!

    Stephie and Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Caroline, I was wondering when we would have news from the newlyweds. So it was with pleaure that I read your thoughtful musings on being married. And I was right there with you during the cockroach fiasco! Thanks for the laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks AUNT PAT! Hee hee. Don't worry, this blog has only been sent to friends and family and we all know you are Lillian's Gramma. :-) I'm glad you stopped by my blog and were entertained.

    Talk to you soon!
    xoxoxo

    Caroline

    ReplyDelete