Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A New President

I went to my poll site unsure of who I wanted to choose to run our country. I was not convinced I knew who would extend a hand and lift us up, dust off the dirt and hold us close as we move forward leaving all the frustrations and fear back there in a mound to wither away. 

I was looking for inspiration among events I was finding unfair and depleting. Literally AND figuratively. I've been working hard to build my career, to save part of my paychecks in 401(k)s, and stocks thinking I might someday be able to pay off the student loans that allowed me a trip to study abroad and to earn a Master's and maybe, just maybe buy a house someday. It's discouraging to work so hard to fear all of that could be gone. I hadn't found inspiration in the candidates' debates, or in their smear tactics. It felt like most campaigns. I wanted to know how Education could be reformed, how health care would help those who can't afford it, how my Grandparents and their friends would be able to count on the country they helped to build, how my generation and my younger cousins' generation could be motivated to make this a great country. And I didn't find any of those answers until last night. 

As an English Major I concentrated my studies in the Career Writing program at SJSU. I was fortunate enough to take and love a speech writing course for a semester. Early on in the campaigning I remembered how we studied current speeches and compared them to the great and not-s0-great speeches in History. I'd listen to our candidates and then look for a copy of that speech online. It made it real for me. 

If you've ever heard me complain about Bush it was rarely about anything BUT his ability (or lack there of) to give a speech. As an English major and a writer you have to understand how hard that was for me. I'm not saying I'm a great speech writer or speaker, but you can bet the farm I would be if I were in charge of the United States.

So where's the epiphany you ask? In both of the speeches given last night. I heard a comment on the radio this morning that blasted McCain's concession speech calling it condescending. It frustrated me, but I put off judgment until I could read it again.  As I read it this morning I couldn't help but feel inspired by it. Sure, it's "politics" and he had to give a speech, but I believe him to be incredibly humbled and thankful for his experience.  I like McCain, I'm humbled by his history and think he's an incredible man for all that he's done for our Country. I was happy to see him quiet down the nay-sayers. I think he meant it. There was an element of a true concession in his speech and I honestly think he wants the best for our country. I just wish I had seen it sooner. 

I've printed out Obama's speech and have read it many times today. I am wishing I could go back to that speech writing course and discuss this speech and how I finally felt inspired. Am I scared? Of course. We have a lot of work to do to repair the damage of our Country. I'm afraid my taxes will go up through the roof, but I'm also hoping that if they do IT WILL BE WORTH IT. There are a lot of things to be fearful of when things change, but doesn't that mean that there is just that much more to be HOPEFUL for? Our country made history and I'm proud of that. I'm proud that I got to be here to see it and someday sit with my children and talk about both of the speeches that inspired me.

No comments:

Post a Comment