I've been playing in a slow pitch softball league on Tuesday nights. I couldn't find my old ball bag and had to get all new gear. The only way I can describe being placed in the outfield is how I tried to explain it to my mom: I feel like the kids who try out for high school ball with sneakers and no mitt. The translation is this: If you don't have cleats, a mitt, and the skill to slide head first while you steal second by the age of 12 then you need not apply for a position on the high school team. It's too competitive folks. So maybe I'm being dramatic, but yes it is a culture shock for me. I almost told a player to put on her helmet as she walked up to the plate. (For the record slow pitch softball doesn't require the use of helmets.)
My favorite story so far was an at-bat I had 2 weeks ago. I get up to the plate and take a swing at the first pitch that looked great but the gust of wind must have felt my pride and swooped that ball out of reach faster than I had a chance to stop swinging. It FELT like I was swinging for the moon and I can only imagine what it must have LOOKED like! "STRIKE" the umpire shouted. The next pitch hit the plate within inches of my big toe. (In slow pitch anything is considered a strike if it hits the plate no matter how un-hittable it might be.) "STEEERRRIIKKE" the umpire yells.
I say to myself: "Man I better get this together."
Umpire: "That was strike three; you're out."
Me to the umpire: "S*#!"
All hitters in slow pitch start off with one ball and one strike.
Do I know how to humiliate myself or what?!
It looks like I may move from the outfield to second base which is really great for two reasons:
1. I really stink at outfield
2. I bought an infielder's mitt (which plays a BIG part for reason #1)
XXOO
Cares
No comments:
Post a Comment