Thursday, March 24, 2011

Stop Being Afraid

I read this advice on a favorite blog in regards to a question about changing things up. And it really spoke to me.

I think I started really feeling fearful when I left my comfortable, worker bee tech writing job for a more unknown path down a very crooked road I wasn't sure about. My gut was right, it wasn't where I was supposed to be and I was asked to leave not long after I had started. I remember a conversation with my boss before I was demoted and ultimately let go that touched on this. I was more self-conscious than I had ever been in my life. I was afraid every day I worked there that I was going to be fired for not doing a good enough job...maybe too prophetic? Ever since then I've allowed fear, in its various forms, to overtake my thoughts and actions.

Last weekend I had the amazing opportunity to hear Maya Angelou speak here in Surf City. Not under the big city lights, but right here in our somewhat small surfer, hippie town. With the Mama and Auntie in tow I braved the incredibly stormy evening and had an incredible time together. Although frail, Maya Angelou spoke on many encouraging points--a lot of them still resonate in my mind as I attempt to sort them out and figure out a way to apply them into my daily thoughts and actions. But one of the things she spoke about was courage and how it was the greatest of all virtues because it's required to act out any of the others.


Courage

And I agree with that sentiment.

Stop being afraid.

Sure it's just that simple and just that hard. It takes courage to be able to face the things we fear the most and even the smaller day to day thoughts that hold us back.

Stop being afraid.

1 comment:

  1. I needed this today. Actually, I need this in this space of my life I'm at right now. So scared of the unknown. STOP BEING AFRAID. Of course, I will have to SHOUT this at myself everyday, to the point of being terrified of letting myself be afraid... ;) hehe. No but, really.... Thank you. As always, for your your insightful words. Even if you didn't mean them for me, specifically. I love you.

    ReplyDelete