Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Grandma and Grandpa Sugar


Probably two of my most favorite people on the planet have been married 69 years. I can't express how much I adore my grandparents. They are the sweetest, most caring people as evidenced by the plethora of friends and family who love them. I'm not kidding. They can make friends anywhere and no matter where they are in the country they always manage to meet someone who also once lived in Saginaw, St. Ignas or Mackinaw Island.

I talk to them both once a week to catch up and just keep in touch. I miss them terribly and so wish I had them closer to me. Grandpa and I take up most of the time talking about my football picks for the week. I think he loves that his granddaughter is in a pick 'em pool and has something other than the weather to talk about. Grandma lets me get all excited about the baby and doesn't mind that I get emotional every time we talk. She recently just joked that at least now I have an excuse to be so sappy. What she didn't admit is that I get it from her.

The photo above is taken from my wedding 2 years ago. I don't remember the context of the photo but what I love so much is that after 69 years of marriage Grandpa can still make my Grandmother laugh like that. What I do remember from his speech was that he told me I was as good a woman as my Grandma.  To be compared to Grandma Sugar was probably the compliment of my life. She's that amazing.

I'm a hopeless romantic and know like many I have a skewed and unrealistic idea of what love 'should' be. Luckily for me I have a real life example in Grandma and Grandpa Sugar. Their love is real and what I hope mine to look like. Their faith is truly an inspiration and I am so grateful and blessed by them.

The same day they celebrated their anniversary (Feb. 1) one of my favorite duos released their first full length album. On this album is a song that I could listen to over and over. I don't believe in coincidences and now have a modern song that makes me think of my Grandparents Sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment