We made it to the airport in JUST enough time to rush from terminal A back to terminal C and get my bag checked. Shawn of course would carry his on. When we got to the Northwest ticket terminal there were 2 agents and no customers. We walked up to have our boarding passes printed when the Gentleman agent snapped at us to use the Kiosk. Wow. Okay.
I walked up to the kiosk next to Shawn:
Use your confirmation number to start
Who would you like to check in? I selected my name and offered to get Shawn checked in but he was nearly finished at that point.
Do you have any bags to check? Yes.
0 bags-$0
1 bag-$20
blink
blink
blink
We were already late at that point so I just stuck my credit card in and ate the fee under mumbled curse words and heavy sighs. I walked my bag over to the counter and asked very sweetly if she could seat me next to my husband.
I'm sorry but the flight is full and I can't help you with that. Here's your ID and boarding pass.
Huffing and puffing Shawn and I headed out to the gate. When it was my turn to pass through the initial screening I politely handed the TSA agent my boarding pass and ID. He looked at my ID then asked me if I had anything else. I naively looked at my purse and then my laptop bag and said, "Well, yes, these I suppose."
No, I need your boarding pass.
Um, I just handed you my boarding pass.
No ma'am this is a receipt. I need your boarding pass.
WHO SENDS YOU AWAY FROM A CHECK IN COUNTER WITHOUT A BOARDING PASS? More importantly who sends you away from a check in counter without a boarding pass WHEN YOU ARE THE ONLY CUSTOMER AROUND???
I furiously stomped back to the the check in counter slammed my "receipts" to the agent and sarcastically asked for a boarding pass. It was all I could to do to bite my tongue and not freak out all over the place, but I was late.
We got to the gate and went right through the doors to board the plane. We were seated in row 8, he in 8e and I in 8b. Of course there were no overhead compartments available until row 30. As I took my seat I hinted "Have a great flight babe..see you in a few hours" loudly enough hoping someone would give up a seat so we could be together. Maybe saying this now defeats the purpose, but I can count on one hand how many times I've done this for fellow passengers. Not because I expect anything back, but because I can imagine what that would feel like. Well now I know first hand. I hope it doesn't stop me in the future.
I've been accused of many things, and being bipolar is sometimes one of these things. The MINUTE we landed I felt a rush come over me and suddenly I was filled with this overwhelming sense of excitement. I knew in one hour my dad would be landing and in another hour we'd be greeted with hugs and kisses from Grandma and Grandpa Sugar. And shortly after that going back to the airport to pick up Bubba. Shawn is very used to this side of me and just shook his head as I skipped down the terminal chatting with strangers and kissing babies. The cup of coffee from my favorite Caribou kiosk probably didn't help.
I couldn't help but jog to the front door of Grandpa and Grandma Sugar's facility and nothing could get the sappy grin off my face. Dad led us to their apartment and opened the door.
"WE'RE HERE!!!" I shouted.
Since it was nearly cocktail hour hugs, kisses and champagne abounded. One of my favorite traits about myself is not one I can claim. I am definitely my Grandmother's Granddaughter and will never turn down champagne. We visited and discussed my frustration of the airline policies of today as Grandma Sugar reminisced about the United flights she used to take which included a cart of roast beef rolling down the aisle, stopping at your seat and you choosing your cut to be placed on a real plate of China.
Grandma and Grandpa Sugar looked great. Grandpa was getting around very well with the help of his cane, and Grandma's rumaki was as good as I remember.
Slowly our family trickled in as we made our way to the lounge. Grandma and Grandpa Sugar's facility is new and very lovely. There is a lounge the tenants can sign up to use with a wide screen plasma TV, chairs, high top tables, and lockers. Grandpa had 4 stocked with all our favorite cocktail fixings. We caught up with one another, and anticipated the big party taking place the following evening. Leo and Lillian, the two newest members of our family stole the spotlight with Leo's charming blue introspective eyes and Lillian's outgoing, happy giggles.
By the time Saturday came we were all ready to celebrate Grandpa. We were only missing 2 grandchildren and were accompanied by a group of friends long known and those who had just entered our lives. Every so often I caught myself sitting back watching Grandpa as he told stories, exchanged laughs and visited with his family and friends. He was absolutely glowing. A smile never left his face and his blue eyes were filled with pride. I felt incredibly honored to have such an amazing, influential man at the head of my family. We toasted to his life and his example and passed the microphone to share memories. I don't think I stopped tearing up. My cousin Stephie said it best when she said his life riches is not defined by his wallet but his heart. I loved every second of this weekend and wish it could have gone on and on.
Happy 90th Grandpa. Here's to you. OPA and Happy Days.



Who would you like to check in? I selected my name and offered to get Shawn checked in but he was nearly finished at that point.
Do you have any bags to check? Yes.
0 bags-$0
1 bag-$20
blink
blink
blink
We were already late at that point so I just stuck my credit card in and ate the fee under mumbled curse words and heavy sighs. I walked my bag over to the counter and asked very sweetly if she could seat me next to my husband.
I'm sorry but the flight is full and I can't help you with that. Here's your ID and boarding pass.
Huffing and puffing Shawn and I headed out to the gate. When it was my turn to pass through the initial screening I politely handed the TSA agent my boarding pass and ID. He looked at my ID then asked me if I had anything else. I naively looked at my purse and then my laptop bag and said, "Well, yes, these I suppose."
No, I need your boarding pass.
Um, I just handed you my boarding pass.
No ma'am this is a receipt. I need your boarding pass.
WHO SENDS YOU AWAY FROM A CHECK IN COUNTER WITHOUT A BOARDING PASS? More importantly who sends you away from a check in counter without a boarding pass WHEN YOU ARE THE ONLY CUSTOMER AROUND???
I furiously stomped back to the the check in counter slammed my "receipts" to the agent and sarcastically asked for a boarding pass. It was all I could to do to bite my tongue and not freak out all over the place, but I was late.
We got to the gate and went right through the doors to board the plane. We were seated in row 8, he in 8e and I in 8b. Of course there were no overhead compartments available until row 30. As I took my seat I hinted "Have a great flight babe..see you in a few hours" loudly enough hoping someone would give up a seat so we could be together. Maybe saying this now defeats the purpose, but I can count on one hand how many times I've done this for fellow passengers. Not because I expect anything back, but because I can imagine what that would feel like. Well now I know first hand. I hope it doesn't stop me in the future.
I've been accused of many things, and being bipolar is sometimes one of these things. The MINUTE we landed I felt a rush come over me and suddenly I was filled with this overwhelming sense of excitement. I knew in one hour my dad would be landing and in another hour we'd be greeted with hugs and kisses from Grandma and Grandpa Sugar. And shortly after that going back to the airport to pick up Bubba. Shawn is very used to this side of me and just shook his head as I skipped down the terminal chatting with strangers and kissing babies. The cup of coffee from my favorite Caribou kiosk probably didn't help.
I couldn't help but jog to the front door of Grandpa and Grandma Sugar's facility and nothing could get the sappy grin off my face. Dad led us to their apartment and opened the door.
"WE'RE HERE!!!" I shouted.
Since it was nearly cocktail hour hugs, kisses and champagne abounded. One of my favorite traits about myself is not one I can claim. I am definitely my Grandmother's Granddaughter and will never turn down champagne. We visited and discussed my frustration of the airline policies of today as Grandma Sugar reminisced about the United flights she used to take which included a cart of roast beef rolling down the aisle, stopping at your seat and you choosing your cut to be placed on a real plate of China.
Grandma and Grandpa Sugar looked great. Grandpa was getting around very well with the help of his cane, and Grandma's rumaki was as good as I remember.
Slowly our family trickled in as we made our way to the lounge. Grandma and Grandpa Sugar's facility is new and very lovely. There is a lounge the tenants can sign up to use with a wide screen plasma TV, chairs, high top tables, and lockers. Grandpa had 4 stocked with all our favorite cocktail fixings. We caught up with one another, and anticipated the big party taking place the following evening. Leo and Lillian, the two newest members of our family stole the spotlight with Leo's charming blue introspective eyes and Lillian's outgoing, happy giggles.
By the time Saturday came we were all ready to celebrate Grandpa. We were only missing 2 grandchildren and were accompanied by a group of friends long known and those who had just entered our lives. Every so often I caught myself sitting back watching Grandpa as he told stories, exchanged laughs and visited with his family and friends. He was absolutely glowing. A smile never left his face and his blue eyes were filled with pride. I felt incredibly honored to have such an amazing, influential man at the head of my family. We toasted to his life and his example and passed the microphone to share memories. I don't think I stopped tearing up. My cousin Stephie said it best when she said his life riches is not defined by his wallet but his heart. I loved every second of this weekend and wish it could have gone on and on.
Happy 90th Grandpa. Here's to you. OPA and Happy Days.



No comments:
Post a Comment